UPDATED: DWN Members Critique @WhiteHouse Announcement on Deportation Policies
The Obama administration recently announced how it will begin implementing the prosecutorial discretion memo (PDF) issued on June 17 by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) director John Morton. Members of Detention Watch Network offered critiques of the announcement.
[List in formation: check back for updates]
- American Civil Liberties Union: DHS Shift on Deportation Policy a First Step toward Reform, but Leaves Many Questions Unanswered
- American Immigration Council: DHS Announces Expansion of Prosecutorial Discretion Guidelines AND How Will DHS’s Prosecutorial Discretion Guidelines Impact Gay and Lesbian Bi-National Couples?
- American Immigration Lawyers Association: AILA Calls DHS Prioritization Plan Strong Step Forward for Immigration Enforcement
- Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles: Sensible, Humane Immigration Enforcement Inches Forward – Refocus on enforcement priorities could benefits hundreds of thousands if changes go into effect AND The Lull in Between Storms
- Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society: A Step in the Right Direction AND HIAS Applauds Obama Administration on New Immigration Enforcement Policy
- Immigration Equality: DHS: “Our understanding of family includes LGBT families”
- National Immigrant Justice Center: Obama Puts Bandage on Broken Immigration System
- National Immigration Law Center: Obama Administration Finally Flexes Its Prosecutorial Discretion Muscle
- New York State Working Group Against Deportation: More Double Jeopardy for Immigrants with Convictions (PDF)
Further critiques and reactions from immigration advocates and bloggers:
- America’s Voice: Reactions to Obama Adminstration’s New Policy on Deporations and Right-Wing Extremists Respond With Typical Anti-Immigrant Rhetoric to Prosecutorial Discretion News
- Asian American Justice Center: DHS Creates Working Group to Review All Pending Deportation Cases (PDF)
- Bill Ong Hing on the Huffington Post: One Hand Clapping for Latest Obama Deportation Reforms
- Bold Faith Type: New Obama Immigration Policy: Huge Step in the Right Direction
- Change.org: Major Progress – Administration to Grant Deportation Relief Amidst Mounting Criticism
- Christians for Comprehensive Immigration Reform: CCIR Welcomes Announcement of Administration’s New Deportation Priorities
- Colorlines: White House: We Will Halt Some Deportations AND Obama’s Deportation Move Likely Lifts Threat to DREAM Act Youth AND Families Fight for Human Rights Over ‘Crimmigration’
- Define American: A Big, Small Step
- Daniel Altschuler in Dissent Magazine: Cautious Optimism in Response to President’s Immigration Announcement
- Greg Siskind: Deportation Priority Policy FAQ
- Kung Li via Facing South: Obama skewers the immigrant justice movement
- Multi-American: Who is a ‘low priority’ under DHS deportation guidelines?
- National Day Laborers Organizing Network: Administration Announcement Falls Short – Ending Secure Communities a Prerequisite for Any Progress on Reform
- One Love Movement: “CRIMINAL”: think about who we lose when we say that.
- Presente: Obama’s (Less-Than) 3% Solution To The Immigration Crisis
- Reform Immigration for America: The Top 10 Things You Need to Know About the DHS Announcement
- Roberto Lovato on the Huffington Post: Obama’s 3 Percent Solution To The Immigration Crisis Will Not Sway Latino Voters
- Subhash Kateel via Organizing Upgrade: Obama’s Immigration Move – Let’s make a toast, but don’t drink yet
- Voto Latino: Changes in Deportation Policy Renew Hopes