7/22-25 in Las Vegas: DWN at @Netroots_Nation
This summer, DWN members are drawn to the desert heat! In Las Vegas, DWN members are representing at Netroots Nation, the yearly gathering of American progressive bloggers and online activists. We’re discussing immigration enforcement and detention issues in the panel
on Saturday, July 24th, 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM in Miranda 3-4. Listen in with Twitter (search for #NN10 and #StopICE). Also help us get out the word about our panel with the Facebook event listing. We also plan to raise concerns about immigration enforcement throughout the conference and we’re planning an action related to SB1070 in Arizona.
- Yahaira Carrillo, DREAM activist
- Madhuri Mohindar, Breakthrough
- Edmundo Rocha, Xicano Power/ The XP Report
- Vince Warren, Center for Constitutional Rights
- Moderator: Will Coley, Aquifer Media
Description: Immigration enforcement under the Obama administration has continued almost unchanged from the “enforcement-only” regime perfected by the Bush administration, applying criminal enforcement tactics to the civil immigration system. While Department of Homeland Security officials have promised to reform the immigration detention system after dozens of deaths in detention, the effort has been cosmetic and designed to forestall more rigorous oversight. Despite moving away from massive workplace raids, the agency has continued home and business raids under the radar, with the result that overall levels of deportation have actually increased under Obama. Meanwhile, legislative reform is stalled in Congress and the White House has not shown leadership. Join advocates and activists in a discussion of recent direct action pushing back against the Obama administration’s enforcement policy.
Thursday, July 22nd
- 10:30 AM – 11:45 AM: Moving a National Progressive Message through State Policy
- 3:00 PM – 4:15 PM: California’s Challenge: From “Failifornia” to Progressive Laboratory
- 3:00 PM – 4:15 PM: Immigration Reform’s Strange Bedfellows: The Surprising Consensus that Reform will Improve American Jobs and Bolster Our Economy
- 4:30 PM – 5:45 PM: Building a National Broadband Plan: How Activists in California are Bridging the Digital Divide for Racial Justice
- 4:30 PM – 5:45 PM: “Illegal” Organizing: Lessons from the Migrant Youth Movement
Friday, July 23rd
- 12:00 PM – 1:15 PM: Civil Rights in the Modern Era
- 3:00 PM – 4:15 PM: Can Unconscious Bias Derail the Progressive Agenda?
- 3:00 PM – 5:45 PM: Screening Series Showcase: Immigration + Discussion
- 4:30 PM – 5:45 PM: Reform Immigration FOR America: Using Mobile as an Integrated Campaign Strategy
Saturday, July 24th
- 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM: Common Values: Building Bridges with People of Faith to Win Progressive Change
- 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM: Crimmigration Under Obama: Pushing Back Against the “Enforcement-only” Immigration Regime
- 4:00 PM – 5:45 PM: How Immigration Reform Sustains a Progressive Majority