Reminder: 9/29 deadline for ICE Detainer Sign-on Letter
via the California Immigrant Policy Center:
Join other California advocates and urge ICE to stop using immigration detainers in a way that undermines not only the strength of our communities and families, but threatens our most cherished liberties of due process and equal protection under the law.
Detainers are one of the principle tools that entangle local law enforcement in immigration enforcement and lead to detention through the Criminal Alien Program, S-Comm, and 287(g). U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has solicited comments from the public about its draft policy governing the use of detainers. It is essential that California’s advocates go on the record about the impact that ICE’s current practices with regard to detainers are having in our state.
With input from advocates throughout the state, we have prepared an analysis of the harmful impacts of immigration detainers in CA. We are asking organizations to sign on to the letter comment to ICE below regarding its draft and referring to a longer analysis (see link below).
Sign on today at http://bit.ly/aULOLI.
For more information or questions, please contact Melissa Keaney at the National Immigration Law Center at keaney(at)nilc.org.
This letter comment and the longer analysis prepared with input from:
- ACLU of Northern California
- ACLU of Southern California
- California Immigrant Policy Center
- Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles
- Committee for Immigrant Rights of Sonoma County
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- National Immigration Law Center
Background info for this letter:
- ICE’s Draft Detainer Policy
- CA Detainer Analysis Comment (referenced in the letter)
- CA Detainer Sign On Letter as PDF