ACTION ALERT [update] via @The_Advocates: Submission on immigration detention to UN Special Rapporteur
Reposted from the Advocates blog
The UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Migrants is seeking submissions on immigration detention worldwide. Michele Garnett McKenzie of The Advocates and Laura Rivas and Cathi Tactaquin of the National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights have offered to coordinate a joint submission for Detention Watch Network. The submission will include:
- A brief background of immigrant detention in the U.S., the status to date of promised detention reforms, and a list of 5 priority issues linked to international human rights for the Rapporteur’s investigation.
- An appendix of recent reports on detention and past submissions to international human rights bodies
Here are ways that you can be involved:
- You are welcome to send any reports, case examples, and other materials that you think should be included in the collaborative submission. Please send these directly to Michele Garnett McKenzie at email@example.com
- Given the very short timeframe, we are not able to have a more collaborative process. However, you are welcome to send suggestion for priorities to Michele as well. We will do our best to draft as comprehensive a submission as possible.
- There will be an opportunity for organizations to add your name to the final submission.
- We also encourage you to submit your own materials directly to the UNSR if you have the capacity and resources.
There will also be other opportunities to share your expertise on immigration detention with international human rights bodies throughout 2012, including drafting of the ICCPR Shadow Report.