Five reasons to support DWN’s $5K Challenge for Dignity not Detention
Why support the Dignity not Detention Campaign
to end mandatory detention?
Because mandatory detention is. . .
1. Family separation: Mandatory detention is a cruel, unjust and unnecessary punishment that takes its toll on over 200,000 immigrants and their families each year.
2. No due process: People in mandatory detention are deprived of their liberty while waiting for the government to decide whether or not it can deport them, often without having the opportunity for a judge to consider release on bond.
3. Mass incarceration of immigrants: Mandatory detention affects a wide range of immigrants, including recent arrivals, asylum seekers and legal permanent residents. Over 60% of people in immigration detention are behind bars because of mandatory detention.
4. Prisons for profits: Mandatory detention is required for whole categories of non-citizens leading to the need for more prisons that are largely benefiting private prison companies with horrendous human rights records.
5. Contrary to international human rights norms: Mandatory detention violates international human rights standards that ensure protection against arbitrary detention.
No amount is too small!