11/16 in Lumpkin, GA: @GaDetWatch’s Vigil to Shut Down Stewart Detention Center
Friday, November 16th
10 am to 12 pm
Vigil commences in the town square in Lumpkin, GA (corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. & Main St.) and includes a 2-mile march to the Stewart Detention Center.
A growing number of people are saying, “Shut Down Stewart!” Why?
- Detainees have died at Stewart Detention Center (SDC).
- A wrongful death at SDC has been settled in court.
- At least one American has been detained at and deported from SDC.
- Families are still denied contact visits at SDC.
- On multiple occasions water service has been interrupted at SDC.
- Immigrants are still held in solitary confinement at SDC.
- Corrections Corporation of America makes millions in profit at SDC.
- Stewart County remains Georgia’s poorest county.
Organized by Georgia Detention Watch
Collaborators include former detainee Pedro Guzman, SOA Watch, ACLU of Georgia, Alterna, Detention Watch Network, Grassroots Leadership, International Action Center, National Lawyer Guild Georgia Chapter, Southern Anti-Racist Network, and many others…
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 706.302.9661