Recap of 34 Days to #EndtheQuota
Together, we reached thousands of people across the country with actions, vigils, social media, videos, posters, infographics, twitter chats, advocacy days, briefings, legislative meetings, community meetings, presentations, and numerous other activities. So many people stepped up in unexpected, beautiful, and creative ways to express our collective indignation with the system of immigration detention, and the need to #EndTheQuota once and for all!
Here are some of the activities that took place during the 34 days to End The Quota:
- Father’s Day action in New York to demand that Senator Schumer end the quota and stop taking money from private prison companies.
- #EndTheQuota to Close Jack Harwell Detention Center, Waco, Texas
- Twitter chat on LGBTQ rights and the immigration detention bed quota, including the testimony from Barbara Perez, a transgender woman who was in detention for 24 days:
- “I was detained to satisfy the ‘Bed Mandate.’ The experience was humiliating and dehumanizing. I was denied medication. Generally treated horribly. I was stripped of my womanhood; forced to wear men’s undergarments. Called ‘he-she’ & ‘it.’ The whole experience nearly broke me. For the majority of my time there I was in solitary confinement. I was fortunate to have wonderful people fighting for me. Others are not as fortunate. This needs to stop!”
- Webinar on the 34,000 immigrant detention quota, including an overview of the immigration detention system, a history and timeline of the quota, and information about efforts to #EndTheQuota.
- Advocacy day and briefing, Washington, DC. “Since my mother left: Immigrant children, youth and parents tell their stories of family separations and share their dreams of a better tomorrow.” See archived tweets from the day here.
- Vigil to stop the expansion of the Adelanto Detention Center, Adelanto, CA
- “Cheering for the USA From a Detention Center in Florence, Arizona,” Op-Ed written by Luis F. Mancheno
- End The Quota infographic in English and Spanish
- Call-in day to End The Quota during AILA’s conference